miércoles, 30 de julio de 2014

7/30/2014

This is the last week we're here.  I'm flying out on a red-eye on Saturday night-- should be back on Sunday afternoon.  I'm so stressed that I'm not even really having time to be sad.  Tomorrow we are presenting our class's final project to their parents. There's going to be a big assembly and all of the parents are supposed to be there. I'm worried because only about half of the students are finished with their projects as of today, and we've given them a lot of time to work on it. I feel responsible for them because I am their teacher and I will feel bad if it doesn't seem like they've learned a lot or if the students are not feeling good about the projects they are showing their parents.  I'm getting a lot of pressure from the director of the program and I've never taught anything and I've never even taken any classes on teaching and it's all a bit overwhelming right now.  

Anyways, my students are adorable, as always.  The city we're teaching in, Haina, is the third most polluted city in the world. Most of the people there have traces of lead poisoning, and it's not good.  A lot of the kids have family lives that are not that good.  For example, one my favorite girls told me that she has never met her Dad and she hasn't seen her mother for 5 years.  She lives with her grandparents with 5 of her siblings.  I just want to take them all home and hug them all of the time.  They're wonderful and smart and funny and very cute.


Here are some pictures of them.  I've got 24 students.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario