lunes, 19 de mayo de 2014

Let's Be Real

I have Depression. And anxiety, but mostly depression right now.

I feel like this has been such a huge part of my life, but I'm too scared to tell people.  Well not anymore.  Here it is:

I have had this sickness since I was about 14 years old.  It started out as mostly social anxiety.  I was terrified to do things that most people have no difficulty with, like calling people on the phone, talking to teachers, and going to parties.  When I moved to the DR it developed into a generalized anxiety, which means I felt anxiety and stress for no noticeable reason, just walking down the street or sitting at school.

It developed into more of a depression around my senior year of high school.  All of the friends that I was very close with had moved away, and I was unhappy with my social situation at school.  I was terribly lonely, and it didn't help that I couldn't properly communicate with most people who were around.  Still, it wasn't that bad.  I could still live my life relatively well and function as a normal person.

In October two years ago there was an announcement made in general conference that girls 19 years and older could go on missions for the church. I was ecstatic.  This was what I wanted more than anything in the world.  I prayed about it and I thought about it and decided that I would talk to my bishop about serving a mission for my church.  I decided that before I went on my mission it would be a good idea to seek some counseling for my anxiety and depression problems, so I went to my university's free counseling services.

I started seeing a therapist every week and we talked about all of the things that bothered me about my childhood.  It was very painful and difficult for me.  I didn't click well with my therapist and would often come back from these therapy sessions feeling emotionally drained and fragile.  I went to talk to my bishop about going on a mission, and was told that because I had anxiety and depression, I wouldn't be able to serve a mission.

This crushed me.  I was so sure that I was meant to go on a mission.  I cried for days and was very sad for weeks after that.  Honestly I felt a little bit suicidal.  I felt that I had no real reason for living and that my life wasn't worth it.

Eventually I decided to stop seeing my therapist.  It was making me exhausted and I didn't feel like it was helping at all.  The stabbing pain that came from not being able to serve a mission turned to an ache.  I was okay.

I kept getting worse and worse until last fall.  During October and November I had a really rough time.  I was having severe depression and I was suicidal.  I felt bored and lonely, and and I thought that I would never have any real happiness again.  I hadn't really felt anything for a long time and I felt kind of numb.  I didn't feel like life was worth it anymore.  I started planning how I would kill myself.  Most people have difficulty with death, but to me it seemed like a relief from what I was living through at the time.

In December there came a night where I was feeling particularly scared. It's an odd thing, being scared that you might harm yourself.  I called my mom and told her how I was feeling.  It was difficult to tell my mom because I didn't want to disappoint her and I didn't want to burden her with my thoughts.  It turned out to be very good for me.  She calmed me down and convinced me to see a therapist the next day.

I went to the University counseling center and was assigned to a therapist who was perfect for me.  I felt comfortable around him and told him all that I was feeling.  He seemed actually concerned with my welfare and tried to help me.  I clicked with this therapist. He smiled more and was more cheerful.  Much better than my other one.  I saw him for a few weeks, then during Christmas break I had an appointment with a doctor.

 I had been previously unwilling to try medicines but was then so desperate that I was glad to try anything that would help.  I believe that God might have allowed me to despair so much so that I would be wiling to try medicine.  I honestly do not remember the last time I was this content with my life.  What was a heavy burden has been lifted to a light weight and I am so, so grateful.

I'm in a good place now.  I have some magnificent friends that I believe were sent by God, I feel content with my job and schoolwork, and I am basically happy. I still have difficult days here and there, but it is easier to deal with them, knowing that the next will probably be better.  Never have I felt the influence of God more in my life than when I was despairing in my depression and finally getting some relief.  I'm so grateful.


6 comentarios:

  1. Wow. You are courageous for putting this out for all the world to see. I admire you for that! Guess what. I have dealt with depression for the better part of 10 years. You are not alone, but I completely understand how it can feel that way. I have felt that way too. I'm so glad you've gotten help. It makes me sad that you suffered for so long. It makes me sad that I have never come out and talked about it because that's the problem with depression. No one talks about it so it seems taboo. More people than you know suffer from it. I'm so grateful that you are happy and have so much support around you. I love you. I really do! You are more amazing than even you know. Which is why Satan tries to convince us that we're not amazing. Have you ever noticed how being out in nature helps? Just curious because it usually helps me somewhat. Sorry this comment is kind of random. I'm really proud of you for talking about this and for seeking help.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Bub for posting this. We don't talk enough on the phone but I'm glad you're my sister. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Kaits, YOU ARE MY HERO! I want you to know how much I love you!!! How amazing you are!!!! I am so glad you didn't harm yourself and are feeling better! Seriously, I look forward to being around you! You light up my life! I can't imagine this life without you in it! I love you!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. thanks for the comments everyone! I was nervous about posting this, but your support really helps. Love you all!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Kaitlin, thanks for posting this! You're very brave. I've wondered what's been going on with you as the months passed and no blog postings appeared! I'm sorry you've had such a hard time. And I echo what Alyson said: You light up my life too, and I always have fun when you're around. Maybe you don't know it, but your smile and laugh is contagious! It makes me smile and laugh too. You are definitely my favorite niece born on the island of Guam, and that's a big list, as you well know. :) Love ya lots, and glad you're feeling better!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Kaitlin, you will never know how your smile lights up the room and how your eyes shine right along with it. I have been there and you are NOT alone. (It tends to feel very much like that though.) He is our Comforter of that I am certain. I love you!

    ResponderEliminar